Highlights of the Catalyst 8.4 Windows release include:
ATI Catalyst support for Stanford Universities new beta Folding@Home GPU client (for the ATI Radeon HD 2000 Series, and ATI Radeon HD 3000 Series)
- Stanford has recently release a new Folding@Home GPU beta client, found at http://folding.typepad.com/news/2008/04/gpu2-open-beta.html and is supported on the ATI Radeon HD 2400 and higher and ATI Radeon HD 3400 and higher series of products under Windows XP and Windows Vista. (Currently only one of the GPU cores on the ATI Radeon HD 3870X2 can be used by the new beta Folding@Home GPU client)
- The new Folding@Home beta GPU client delivers significant performance improvements in folding calculations, and enables users to fold far more complex proteins
- Please see the Stanford’s FAQ for more details about their new Folding@Home GPU client http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-ATI2
- Note: The new beta Folding@Home client still has some known issues (Multi-GPU CrossFire configurations under Windows Vista do not currently work with the new client, and in certain conditions, crashes can occur when running the new beta GPU Folding@Home client concurrently with 3D applications or playing back video content.) Please submit any crash reports and please tell us about any issues on the Folding@Home forums (http://foldingforum.org/) in the "Beta testing the GPU2 win client subforums.
- We invite everyone to join the ATI folding team (team number 51394) regardless of whether you’re using the CPU client or newest beta GPU version of Stanford’s Folding@Home client.
Resolved Issue highlights
- Unreal 3 engine based games(Unreal Tournament 3, Gears of War, Bioshock, Rainbow6 Las Vegas) Forced AA support under CrossFireX configurations: Users can now enable Anti-Aliasing in the Unreal 3.0 engine (DirectX 9 mode) games using the Catalyst Control Center in CrossFireX configurations.
- Company of Heroes: Setting the in-game options to maximum levels no longer results in the game exiting to the desktop after the game has completed loading.
- Crysis: Setting the Catalyst™ Control Center->Advanced View->3D->Standard Settings to Optimal Quality and having certain in game option settings no longer results in the game failing to render properly.
- Doom 3: Setting the in game options to Ultra Quality and the screen size to 1600x1200 no longer results in the image next to the text failing to be rendered.
- Hellgate: London: Flickering is no longer noticed when quitting and then relaunching the game when the in-game setting are set to their maximum levels.
- Lost Planet: Setting AA to either 4x or 8x no longer results in the game failing to respond. Further details can be found in topic number 737-28492
- Tabula Rasa: Setting the graphics option to enable Deferred Lighting and Dynamic Shadows no longer results in corruption being displayed.
- Tomb Raider Anniversary: Performance improvements are now noticed when playing the game with CrossFire™ enabled.
Highlights of the Linux Catalyst 8.4 release include:
Support for the ATI Radeon HD 3000 Series of products
- This release of ATI Catalyst™ Linux introduces support for the ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series (the ATI Radeon HD 3870X2 is not currently supported), ATI Radeon HD 3600 Series, and the ATI Radeon HD 3400 Series
Support for new Linux operating systems
- This release of ATI Catalyst™ Linux introduces support for Ubuntu 8.04 (also known as Hardy Heron)
- Selecting Wait for vertical retrace in the AMD Catalyst Control Center - Linux Edition no longer results in the FPS of the application not matching the display's vertical refresh rate
- A black screen is no longer observed on some hardware when switching to the console or leaving the X window system when a Vesa framebuffer console driver is used.
- Video Playback is no longer displays incorrect colors and additional shadow images when cropping or expanding a video file using a video player that utilizes the XVideo extension
For more information on Catalyst 8.4 (for Windows Vista, Windows XP, and Linux versions), including all of the resolved issues in this release, please see the Catalyst 8.4 release notes found in driver download section.