These are modified NVIDIA ForceWare drivers for Windows 2000 & XP. Modified drivers simply means that the author takes official or beta drivers from the manufacturer and starts to tweak them for either better image quality and or performance. Please bare in mind that the driver manufacturer, in this case NVIDIA, does not support drivers like these. For more information and dialog about these drivers I suggest you visit our forums where a dedicated section can be found on modified drivers.
Quick install instructions
- Download installer package
- Run installer and choose which components to install
- Choose to do a full driver clean-up
- When asked to reboot, click yes!
- After reboot installation will continue automatically
- Choose 'Yes' when asked to install uncertified driver
- Reboot computer and the drivers should have been installed!
Note: When you're manually editing the settings in the control panel, make sure only to touch the AA and AF settings, and leave the rest. It might screw the tweakings made by the installer.
If you get "Device could not be found"-error or similar, try to install original drivers, and the run the installation. When asked to clean-up, skip it! The clean-up doesn't seem to work on every machine...
Tweak and driver highlights
- NVIDIA PureVideo Decoder (for cards that support it)
- Pixel/vertex shader control optimizations (improves high-end pixel shading performance)
- VMR (Video Mixing Renderer) is enabled by default
- VDS (Virtual DMA Support) is enabled by default
- OpenGL/D3D texture precache is enabled by default
- AMD Dual Core and Intel Hyperthreading optimizations
- VSync and TV/HD-out support for SLI-rigs
- Optional to install Direct Access Panel
- Optional to install Media Center Tray
- Optional to install Driver Helper Service
- And alot more...
- Standalone installer - no wrapper for the bloaty InstallShield setup
- Super small size - only ~9MB by using state-of-the-art compression
- Only compability modifications made to the .inf - no tweaks
- Added support for nearly all NVIDIA cards
- Choose between Quality, Balanced and Performance tweak profiles
- Install 1st, 2nd and 3rd generation CoolBits
- Get more contrast and saturation with Vivid Colors tweak
- Full driver clean-up - even superior to DC Pro
- Apply fixes through the installer if you have problems
- Download and install third party applications
- Support for NVIDIA Mobile GPUs
- Apply tweaks without reinstalling
- Add the new control panel (codenamed Sedona)
- Part drivers and installer - download latest drivers inside the installer
Changelist for Installer v1.2
- Added: Some new tweaks and removed some unused ones
- Added: New tweak profile: Balanced (Recommended)
- Added: Improved installer graphics
- Added: OS check (64bit can't install 32bit and vice versa)
- Fixed: Control panel settings will now get affected by tweak profiles
- Fixed: Moved alot of stuff from the driver into the installer (check fixes)
- Fixed: Improved the clean-up method
- Fixed: A bug where the tweaks might not get installed on some machines
Changelist for Installer v1.1.2
- Fixed: GUID will now be recognized properly on all machines
- Fixed: Clean-up will correctly remove drivers
Changelist for Installer v1.1
- Added: Tweak profiles (Quality and Performance)
- Added: Continue installation from last state after clean-up reboot
- Added: Better error handling and logging capabilities
- Fixed: Moved Direct Access panel (nvmccs.dll) from default driver install to optional installer component (under driver fixes)
Regarding new control panel (Sedona)
It seems that nTune and the latest Sedona compatible forceware doesn't use the same version of the interface. nTune is using a later version which isn't backwards compatible. I've gotten the new control panel to work, but not together with latest nTune. So it's new control panel, or nTune, not both at the same time. If anyone could give me some heads-up information about this, I would be grateful! And worth to notice, the installer with the Sedona files weighs at nearly 14MB.
About the drivers
The drivers are based upon the ForceWare 84.43 beta drivers from NVIDIA. No tweaks have been added to the .inf itself, only compability for more cards and resolutions. The tweaks are added by the installer itself. Nearly all NVIDIA cards are supported (there might be some problems with old generations, but it doesn't hurt to try!).
What's with the Ultra?
The name ForceWareUltra is just a placeholder for now, it might change, it might not. I am looking for people that can help me improve the installer (add more tweaks and fixes), so don't hesitate in contacting me.
Guru3D - Home sweet home!
These drivers will have their home here, and can be discussed here. I New driver releases and installer updates will be posted on Guru3D's forums! I am currently working on some more drivers 84.37 WHQL and 64bit 84.27 WHQL!
Beta installer - Disclaimer
This installer is in beta, so there might be bugs. I don't take any responsibility for what might happen to you or your computer by using it. You may wonder why I don't wait to release until it's stable. The answer is simple; I need your help to be able to make it stable. Since I'm no super mega corporation like NVIDIA I don't have the range of hardware to test on. So if you want to help me beta test, you're welcome to play the part for Guinea Pig!